The types and local names of the paranumismatics found within the British munitions and ordnance industries over time are numerous. Often the precise purpose of such items is made clear, or at least alluded to, by the content of their legends (i.e. the inscriptions and information presented on them). Where this is not the case an item’s size or shape may infer a particular use. However, the purpose of some examples remains a mystery and can only be guessed at.
A list of “War Work” related tokens can be found below. Click on the links provided to find out how each type was typically used.
- Identification & Security Passes
- Registration & Time Recording Checks
- Pay Collection Identification Checks
- Canteen & Refreshment Tokens
- Tool Loan Receipt Checks
- Workplace Travel Passes
- Workplace Contraband Receipt Tokens
- Lavatory Tokens
- Advertising Tickets & Unofficial Farthings
- Commemorative Medals & Tokens
- Tribute Medals